I start lab rotations in about a week. I am getting pretty excited!!! I remember trying to figure out who I wanted to rotate with a few months ago after I found out that I was accepted to the MD/PhD program at the Medical College of Wisconsin. The problem with choosing a lab was that I had no experience with any type of medical research throughout my undergrad experience, so my first list was over 30 labs long.
All throughout the interview and 2nd-look days, other students said not to worry, and that they were no different when it came to choosing labs--they just decided on one because it looked interesting to them, not because they had experience in the field.
In fact, during the interviews, I ran into a student who had just started the PhD portion, and as an undergrad, he had spent all four years in one lab doing medically-relevant research. But when he had to choose a PhD lab and advisor, he went with something totally unrelated to what he had done before.
I wish I could remember exactly how I finally decided on my first lab. I do remember just going on a gut feeling, which is not very methodic and scientific, but who cares?
Wednesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment