Saturday

Orientation Week

So this past week was orientation. Having been around the campus and obtaining an email account, an ID, etc. the summer before being told about the campus and IDs and emails was slightly... boring. Plus half of the first day was about financial aid, and so had no application to me.
So I skipped part of orientation so that I could work in the lab some more to do more experiments. It was slightly depressing that our second round of experiments didn't yield as good data as the first, but that's science, right?'
I've been excited to start school this past few weeks, but now that it is actually here, I'm wishing I had a few more weeks of summer. Especially because the data didn't turn out as we'd hoped, and because my brain is not geared up for sitting in class for hours and hours.
One thing that I noticed about being and MD/PhD student was that I mentally was apart from everyone else. For example, 90% of the speakers during orientation week made some comment about how in 4 years we'd be all MDs, or how 4 years from now we'd all be ready to see patients or whatever. They were great talks, though.
We'll see how much my classmates set me apart coming up--I hope that people don't think that I think that I'm all that just because I'm doing research

No comments: