Thursday

2nd summer rotations

So deciding on a PhD (and ultimately what general field) I'm going to focus on seems like it will not be as hard as I thought it would be. That's probably because I came into this program thinking I'd have to find that lab that would enable me to save the world. Such lofty ambitions...
Now, I am perfectly content with just being a piece in a bigger puzzle--that's how science is these days--working together as a team to figure out some (probably obscure yet hopefully useful) new thing.
Anyways, it seems like stabbing at the dark seems to be working for me--the labs I rotated in were great experiences, but I ended up choosing them not because they were the labs with the most papers I was interested in or the labs with even the coolest projects in my opinion--they were labs other people enjoyed that had pretty cool projects that got better as I worked on them.
So that's my 2 cents on the importance of wasting hours and hours reading abstracts, papers, grants and stressing about what lab to rotate in.

No comments: