SO today is Labor Day, for which I am grateful for despite having no idea what it's about. (I assume we are celebrating labor unions or something, but why should they get their own holiday and sports teams, the Lions Clubs International, or even policemen and women be left out?)
Anyways, this past 2nd week of school was good--we took a quiz on Monday covering some of the material we had the previous week, and it being the 1st week, everyone was stressing out because they didn't know what to expect. I think one huge difference I noted in me (and one other MD/PhD student) was that our attitude was like who cares as long as we pass, we'll have letters of recommendation, journal articles, and... a PhD when we try for residencies, so unless we are trying to get into Derm at UCSF or something like that, why stress out from day 1? So I didn't stress and still studied and had fun learning the material and did fine.
This past week in anatomy lab, another Mudphud came over and took me aside and said we are meeting in the room next to the lab in the middle of class. I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out that a course instructor or director was an MD/PhD student in the same school 30 years ago, and he had a special project for us that would keep us interested in anatomy (he brought up the good point that we need a little more scholarly stimulation other than memorizing body parts using dumb mnemonics.) So we have an extra project and may get extra credit for our extra work. I like being treated special...
Speaking of anatomy lab, since this was the 2nd week, everyone in our group was less timid or outgoing as they showed that 1st week, and it was fun to see the very polite attitude reserved for strangers slip a little and hear group members argue over the identification of a structure. Some students' conceitedness is slightly annoying, especially when we all agree that a structure in the body is one thing but they can't be wrong or else their ego will suffer. Oh well... That's enough griping for now. Really, med school is great because I get to learn and get paid to do it!
Monday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment