Sunday

Round 1 of tests

Week 3 of med school went by ok. I woke up late one morning and decided to... skip class (gasp!). I don't know if playing hookie is for me--I learn through all my senses, so just sitting there, listening to MP3's afterwards doesn't work as well. Plus the school is paying me, so I can at least go and revel in that fact, thinking "I just made a quarter getting confused about that last sentence... hmm..."
Anyways, I could almost touch the tension in the air it was so thick that afternoon of the first quiz. Last week, people had mellowed out a little going into the quiz. But after 2 minutes when people found that the link to the calculator pop-up was broken for 2 of the questions, the tension in the air was like the humidity on a rainy day. What was so funny was that in order to do the problems, you had to divide 1/500 by 2 to end up with 1/1000. Another problem was that you had to multiply 1/2 and 1/2 to get 25% as the answer. It is sad how mathophobic people are. We all got credit for one of the questions because enough people whined. I feel that it's slightly absurd.
This next week, we have our first block of exams, and I can't wait to get these out of the way so I can start shadowing doctors without having that persistent nudging of my conscience to keep me studying for exams. Plus, it will be nice to not have to be around all the med students who still have pre-med syndrome. I regularly talk with another MD/Phd student who is 2 years ahead of me, and I like his outlook. He and some of the other MD/Phds pointed out how for us, getting into the residency we want is more a function of how good our research is, not how well we did on the second genetics exam. So just having that calm outlook I think has kept my blood pressure at a better range than it was right before the MCAT.
Other than that, med school is great. I was in the lab looking at how many muscles there are in the human hand, and how they work together, and I just said to a lab partner "Our bodies are amazing." He looked over, smiled and said, "They are, aren't they?" I love life.

No comments: